9.01.2021

September 1, 2021

Yesterday, I started another class at SMC. It was in person, and the regulations around COVID were baroque. For example, there was yellow and black striped tape on the ground around the area the teacher was allowed to stand. No one was to cross over into that square and he was not to leave it. 

It's the same class with the same teacher that I went to five years ago. Last time, I dropped it after the first class because it felt pointless. This time, I got a lot out of it even though I'm pretty sure it was the same lecture. I was devastatingly insightful. It may have helped that I'd seen the material before, albeit a kind of staggeringly long time ago. 

I was a newb in that I forgot to bring a sweatshirt. I was in pants and a t-shirt, and I rode my bike there. So when I arrived I was hot and sweaty, but of course that turns into cold clamminess as the night wears on. (It's a four-hour class.) To keep warm, I'd buy coffee out of a vending machine. My dinner was black vending machine coffee and a stale bag of Funions. Not totally unlike the kind of meal one might eat in a hospital emergency room. But I have to say, it helped a lot. It got me through that first class: improved my focus, warmed my hands. Best dinner in a minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment