10.25.2012

This Dress Makes Me Look Confused



This is a commercial I ran across lately, and the remarkable thing about it, in my opinion, is that it doesn't work. I mean companies put a lot of money into commercials, and I assume somebody watches them before they go on air. All it would have taken is one person reviewing it to say, "Wait, this woman isn't fat." There's no question, and she's also not skinny enough for her not-fatness to be funny. I keep hearing all this news about the rise in obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. It's not like we're short on fat people. Why pick one of the, like, twelve skinny people left to do your commercial? Now, there are other commercials that I don't like, can't relate to, that I wish would stop propagating stereotypes that are true to experience but probably just because they keep getting propagated, etc. but all those have a coherent message! It's like Tecate took two of the formulas used to target men -- 1. Sex-appeal, and 2. Depict women as insecure and foolish. -- mashed them together, and decided it didn't matter whether it made sense. Instead of making it seem like Tecate is the beer for regular guys, successful at navigating girlfriend politics, it seems that Tecate is the beer for projectional anorexics. I mean, it's bad enough to be disparaging towards women without, on top of it all, offending my marketing sensibilities. Come on! What happened to all the proper sexist ads?

Sorry, Tecate. Try again.

1 comment: