1.18.2014

"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." ~Leo Tolstoy



"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness."
~Leo Tolstoy

I've learned that this is one of my problems (or as Sara's calls them: complexes) is that I think someone or something beautiful is good.

I was an ugly, nerdy child. I never thought of myself as beautiful. It seemed to me that every time I was about to stop being an ugly duckling, something happened: glasses, braces, bangs, braces again, chubbiness, bad hair, etc. 

Because of my appearance I hung out with kids like me: nerds, geeks, freaks, weirdos. I am happy with this decision. It made my life lovely and interesting.

However,it's left me with a blind spot. I assume beautiful people, who now want to befriend me, are good. And that is not the case. 

This is not to say beauty is bad or nerdiness is good. I've met people who worth knowing all over. What's more is that I've learned beauty is a lot more complicated then: thin, blonde, tall, etc. I find some people to be gorgeous, who don't see themselves that way.

It's a lot more about what's inside. So yeah... I need to stop assuming beauty and goodness are the same thing... And so should everyone. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment