1.03.2022

January 3, 2021

For New Years Eve, my husband, brother-in-law, and I went up to hang out with my friend in Seattle. My husband and I had gotten those COVID take-home tests (like I mentioned). Friend had requested it as a precaution. We had driven around for an hour and a half to track them down. When we went to get brother-in-law a test, they were out of them everywhere we went (two places). The brother-in-law is having a tough time, and leaving him somewhere by himself didn't seem like an option. So I told everybody we were going to lie and say he turned out negative. This is a very Christian pair of individuals, so it was a little bit scandalous. But my take on my friend was that she was more concerned about doing the responsible thing (making sure we all tested negative before we hung out) rather than being actually worried about getting COVID. None of us had symptoms or any knowledge of exposure, I should say. I knew if we told her we didn't get the brother tested, she'd have to choose between being responsible and having to disappoint us. It felt like passing the buck. So we were like Yep! All good! And the evening was nice. 

It's been wild being back. Have an opportunity to work with the same director on another project. (We'll see how that goes.) Also I might be able to collaborate on something new with one of the actors?? That's stressful. My friends' first response about it was, "Does he know you're married?" My relationship status hasn't come up, but I'm counting on my somewhat lackluster appearance. I'm really a much better writer than gorgeous human woman. I don't feel bad about it. Like Eve Babitz wrote, "I'm beautiful enough." Oh god, speaking of Eve Babitz, I need to write a BLog. 

Blog Time! 

Babitz, Eve – EVE’S HOLLYWOOD
Published: 1974
Read: 01/2021
Eve Babitz died on 12/17/21. I had never heard of her. I read an article in the LA Times by Christina Catherine Martinez commemorating her, and I’d rush to try out anything Martinez recommends, honestly. Eve was a native Angelino, a Jewish girl growing up in the ‘50s and ‘60s, Stravinsky’s goddaughter. She’s an adventuress. This book is essays on things like the Watts Towers, a chicken who lived up the street, books, Ranier Ale, gorgeous girls in high school. I’m just now looking her up on Wikipedia, and it mentions her impact on Jia Tolentino. Tolentino is a very good comp for Babitz. 
I loved this book. Several of the essays/stories I listened to twice, just played that chapter again once it was done. She advises that people make sure their desires are enormous, life being what it is. She talks about grammar and drawing and concludes, “If I knew how not to draw a face, I might be doing that instead.” Her prose is exciting. She chops sentences right in the middle with unexpected words like “secretly.” I bought the physical copy – it’s coming in the mail – so I could get quotes down exactly. 
I’ve been feeling restless lately. I want to move somewhere new; get a new lover; see something amazing; get that thrill of everything coming up Amy. Reading this book has made me think about how I’m a childfree 34 year old with a part-time job and a padding of money in one of the biggest cities in America and a cultural center in the world. I could just get out there and see it. Write it down, make it up, like Eve. Approach it with big eyes and an empty stomach. Get at the glitter of it all. 
Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment