1.16.2023

January 16, 2023

I went to church with my parent's and my brother's family yesterday. The pastor was the same man who married my brother and sister-in-law. I didn't like him much then because he kept using all these sports metaphors. "Tackling" everything, etc. He has a hint of a southern accent. In his sermon yesterday, he mentioned not liking Joe Biden. He talked about trying to lose weight for your new year's resolution. ("Triggering," I thought.) He preached about John the Baptist, said he was considered great. He talked about other great people throughout all of history. He mentioned no women. 

He talked about how David Hume, philosopher and proclaimed atheist, would travel hours to hear a contemporary preacher preach. When someone asked him about it, said "Hey, you don't believe in this." He supposedly answered, "Yeah, but he does." Meaning the preacher believed what he was saying. The point was supposed to be be on fire for God. Believe what you're saying, and you'll be attractive to other people. Which is true, in general. Be excited about and committed to your own shit, and people will find that attractive. But my takeaway was much stronger the other way -- I want to be like David Hume. I want to travel to listen to people I disagree with just because they believe what they're saying. I want to have that kind of curiosity, that habit of seeking outward. 



No comments:

Post a Comment