1.16.2021

January 16, 2021

The temperature was in the mid-eighties yesterday, and I met Sarah at the Mar Vista Rec Center on her lunch break. Like everyone else in Los Angeles, I bought roller-skates to help cope with lockdown. On skates, I am committed to not falling. Whenever I fall I break my wrist. So while Sarah is watching YouTube tutorials to advance her skating abilities, I just go for the basics. 

The rink in Mar Vista is surprisingly fun. People lug their big speakers and blast music. It's the closest thing to being in a club that's allowed anymore. Sinewy skaters dance in retro outfits and record themselves for Instagram. We all annoy the hockey players who are trying to practice.

Yesterday, a man skated backwards, complimenting me on my skates, into a trashcan. "I forgot I put that there!" He managed not to fall down but only just. 

I rode my bike home, listening to Adam Buxton's 80's playlist, sweating like crazy in that dry hot way where you end up smelling like dust and UV radiation. 

Got a bunch of homework left to do today and some more editing on Sarah Someone. Hoping to make it to the rink again soon. 


Sarah tries tricks that I won't dare: 



No comments:

Post a Comment