1.20.2021

January 20, 2021

Going to write about this morning rather than yesterday. Today, Joe Biden and Kamala Harris took over as President and Vice President of the US. Whoops, maybe I don't have a lot to say about it other than the usual things. I feel relieved that there was no further attack on the capitol. I feel encouraged and proud to see our first Madame Vice President take office. I feel moved by the pomp and circumstance of the ceremony. 

I'm remembering Obama's inauguration in 2009. Two million people packed together on the mall. Freezing my ass off, trying desperately to stay connected to our group. I was there as part of a college Jan Term class called Prejudice Across America. We were studying racial injustice and traveled to Chicago, New York, Atlanta, and DC. (I liked Chicago so much on that trip, that Mitch and I moved there two years later.) With the first election of President Obama, the trip was infused with hope, optimism, and joy. It motivated me to switch political parties. It'd be hard for anyone not to get on board. 

I'm participating in a book club organized by Roxane Gay this year. The book for January is Black Futures. It's a collection of art, music, interviews, recipes, and miscellany from black artists and activists. Taking it in reminds me of what it was like to be on that trip. It has passion, joy, cynicism, and purpose. It seems impossible to read it with curiosity and a healthy appreciation for what's good in life and to not get on board. It's okay. Don't fight it. Get on board. 

At President Obama's inauguration, 1/20/09 


No comments:

Post a Comment