6.09.2021

June 9, 2021

I got my last score back from the Black List yesterday. A 6! Booo. I figured there was going to be reversion to the mean, but hoped there wouldn't be this much reversion. I'm proud of that script. It makes me laugh. I feel like I put so much work into these things, and yet it also feels like they come out pretty quickly. I want to crank and crank material! I will say that I think it's been good to get as much feedback from Black List readers as I have. Getting three reviews -- on top of my original two reviews -- tells me more, I think. The feedback doesn't really match up so much as it's interesting to see how different readers handle the material differently. 

I'm back to wanting to get better and also wanting to have more scripts under my belt, especially scripts at the level of this one. I will probably spending a large chunk of cash on the BL when I have my Baby Teeth script in shape. Two reviews and hosting for BT. Two reviews and hosting for a revised BUIE. Roll the dice.  

Yesterday, I had coffee -- first post-pandemic coffee date! -- with a friend who's been repped as a writer for a few years. She told me how she got her first break (through the Black List). She talked about how having a stockpile of scripts from grad school helped her tremendously. I hadn't thought about the possibility that scripts I'm writing now could help me in the future (beyond just getting repped). I'm really hoping to produce new material at a faster clip than this friend does, but it's nice to think that some of these scripts might have later lives. 

I wonder if it's bad to just be thinking about writing and about trying to "make it" career-wise all the time. It's been like this for years! 

It's like being in the writing mines. The more you stockpile the better, potentially. Unless you never get access to that cart to bring it to the surface. And maybe you don't really know what you have until you can get your ore out into daylight. But until that cart comes by, keep digging I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment