6.02.2021

June 2, 2021

I missed a day yesterday! I'm reading the book Who Is Michael Ovitz? It's a memoir by one of the guys who started and ran CAA. He keeps talking about not wanting to have to move back to the Valley (where he grew up). Living in the Valley is like this huge mark of failure in his mind. I think if I lived in the Valley right now -- like a lot of my friends do -- I'd feel offended. Plenty of people living/working in LA live in the Valley, and it doesn't seem that different to me. But anyway, I - like Michael Ovitz - have had the privilege to stave off Valley residence. 

Oof, I didn't post yesterday. And now it's nine AM already and I have to start work. I need to wake up earlier. Which is the story of my life. I'm backlogged on Mlog and TVlog. Plus I don't want to work. Story of my life, the sequel. I'll go look at my work email and come back here in a bit.

My body still hurts from when I fell roller skating last week. 

I'm kicking around the idea of making myself a personal webpage to try to capitalize on any Black List score interest. Making a website feels vain and stupid though because I feel like personal websites are important to the website owner but not really seen much by anyone else. And they cost money to host and time to set up. But on the other hand, they're another opportunity to introduce yourself to the world online. To say, oh hi here's who I am. That may be useful. Because people search other people online, and it's a way to have some definite say in what they see. 

Mlog time! 

**SPOILERS**

THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD
2019
Directed by: Armando Iannucci
Written by: Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci
Watched: 5/31/21
Based on the novel by Charles Dickens, The Personal History […] follows the life of David Copperfield, a 19th century Englishman who starts out rich, the only child of a single lady, and then gets sent to work in a factory once his mother marries his sinister stepfather. David goes to live with a large family who is constantly dodging creditors. David’s stepfather informs David that his mother has died and David freaks out, destroying many bottles at the bottle factory. He then goes and lives with his rich eccentric aunt. His aunt pays for his education. His aunt then loses all her money, and David is poor again. David eventually starts to write in earnest (his character is one of Dicken’s most autobiographical) and earns all the money back. 
I like Iannucci’s television more than his movies. I’m not quite sure why. It might be because the television is out-and-out comedy. Tight, smart, funny, absurd. While the movies are comedy/dramas. Slower paced. Understated. Swollen with themes. Lititis. The casting/acting in this movie was excellent. Dev Patel makes a great David Copperfield – spry, youthful, distracted. Even though I knocked it compared to Iannucci’s TV, I still enjoyed this movie the whole way through. It did its job. Its movie job. 
Rating: ★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment