5.31.2021

May 31, 2021

Flew home from Austin this morning. Man, I've been in a bad mood all day. Too many days of drinking in a row. Too much travel. Too much fear of being out of control, that I won't be able to get back on the horse and feel well again. Maybe I should take up meditation, even if it's just like ten minutes a day. I'm trying to be proactive - exercise, cooking, chores, answering emails promptly, setting my schedule and not procrastinating. I'm not teaching any classes right now so I should have more than enough time for everything. So much traveling over the past month has sapped my stamina, though. In large part because I've been traveling without actually taking any time off. I've been working remotely, and I still have homework, plus I've been pushing myself creatively. I'm in a dark head space, wondering if I'm ever going to feel good again. 

I suspect I will feel good again, but being mentally solid isn't something I take for granted. I love my mind. Using it feels like wielding a massive club -- I can bash through anything -- but sometimes the club swings around and takes me out instead. It's hard to recover from. 

Mlog Time! 

THE HUSTLE
2019
Directed by: Chris Addison
Written by: Stanley Shapiro, Paul Henning, Dale Launer, Jac Schaeffer
Watched: 3/29/21
Josephine is a seasoned con artist with millions of dollars who runs into Penny, a less-seasoned less suave grifter. Josephine wants to get Penny off her territory, so she tries to get rid of her. Penny keeps hanging on. Josephine agrees to train her, and they run a successful con together. When Josephine doesn’t pay Penny her cut, Penny walks out (Josephine hopes) forever. But Penny is resilient and doesn’t want to leave the rich Mediterranean town. So the two make a bet, whoever can con $500,000 from a young internet tycoon first gets to stay in the city. Penny pretends to be blind and need the cash for a medical procedure, and then Josephine slots in pretending to be the psychologist who can help Penny. The two duke it out before realizing that the boy himself is a con artist. In the end, the three team up to all con together. 
Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson are great in this. One of my favorite scenes was the one where Josephine (Hathaway) is training Penny (Wilson). Josephine, wearing ridiculously posh clothes, jumps over this column like a gazelle. Both women are funny in big but opposite ways. The movie reminded me a little bit of The Heat, but the stakes and the chemistry don’t end up hitting Bullock/McCarthy levels, unfortunately. It was enjoyable and entertaining and sometimes made me laugh. 
Rating: ★★★
 

No comments:

Post a Comment