5.30.2021

May 30, 2021

My husband and I did a lot yesterday. We slept in and then walked to a donut food truck, walked to breakfast tacos and Allen's Boots -- which had been recommended to us as "Allen's Boats" because of autocorrect. It makes me really want Cowboy Boats to take off as a concept. We road the bus to a brewery, then we saw live music at another brewery, then we went and watched the bats, then we went to Rainey Street, which was packed with people. I saw four bachelorette parties. No one was wearing masks. COVID was being disregarded complete. I felt like I was stress testing my vaccine. Hopefully everyone else was vaccinated as well (but of course it's very unlikely all of them were). 

At the bar we posted up in at the end, we met a couple who had moved to Austin from LA within the last year. I feel like... that must mean that Austin is overrun with Angelinos, right? The couple said they loved it here, and when I asked about how it was career-wise they said very tough. It seems impossible to find a job, they said. 

I was thinking about how one of the things I like about LA is that people are career focused. Obviously that can be taken to an extreme, and it probably is in LA. But working in Colorado, I noticed that everyone goes home right at 5pm. That they seem to live for nights and weekends, for their recreation time. If I were from a career-obsessed place like LA, I might move to Colorado for that reason. But I still think it's appealing that people are trying hard in their work, that they're ambitious, that they want to advance. My feelings on that could change, of course. And then who knows where I'll end up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment