5.03.2021

May 3, 2021

Yesterday, I went to another Lyra (aerial hoop) class with my friend. We hung out with the instructor afterwards -- her apartment is a loft downtown that doubles as her studio. Went to Golden Road in Grand Central Market for $7 six-packs. I hadn't been there since before COVID. There's definitely something impressive and exciting about downtown. Real buildings, storefronts that have metal roll down doors, jewelry and homelessness and good food. Our Lyra instructor's sister met up with us. She's a clown contortionist - both sisters are circus people, essentially. They talked about gigging at parties and how part of why people hire them is for party starting and for mingling. Basically just being an interesting person people can talk to. It made me think more about social capital. It seems like, in my thirties, part of social capital is to be at a certain place financially, family-wise, and in one's career. Like owning a house -- people are getting into it. It's frightened me to forego those things. I mean, I still want to have friends. 

But the clowntortionist was great to talk to, and she gets paid to go to parties. I think it points back to how we -- as children or in society -- treat life like there is a right way to live and a wrong way, rather than that no matter how you choose to live there will be advantages and disadvantages. The potential disadvantage of running the traditional route is that maybe you run out of things to talk about, that you've got to bring in a party starter from the outside. 

What else? 

I'm driving with a friend to Las Vegas today. We're staying the night and then heading all the way to Colorado. Back to CO! I'm excited to hang out with my friend and to see my family again for a few days, but I'll miss LA skating and my husband. :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment