2.14.2021

February 14, 2021

I don't know what to write about today. Yesterday, my nephews came over and I worked with the three-year-old on hitting a ping-pong ball. He kept trying to hit his dad, which he thought was really funny. He laughs really loud at anything, and he laughed at the right time for one of my jokes. I think it was coincidence, but still it feels nice to get a laugh. 

I got on the NextDoor app yesterday, which was probably a mistake. But a notification came through saying that one of the cats I like has been missing. It's a small sleek gray and brown cat who looks and acts like a little leopard. Because I walk so much, I'm pretty familiar with the cats in my neighborhood. Since I was on the app anyway, I started to scroll. It was discouraging. The posts demonizing a random black guy. Cracks about how it's crazy to talk about defunding the police. The main part of my neighborhood is multimillion dollar houses. They're not mansions or anything. Most look to be 2- or 3-bedroom. But they're nice houses, and it's a nice area, and it's Los Angeles. While I walk, I wonder all the time what these people did to make so much money. If gentrification is bad, then I'm doing the noble thing and trying to do whatever the opposite of that is in my neighborhood. 

There are apartment buildings closer to Santa Monica Blvd. Our building might be the oldest, now that the other old buildings have been torn down and remade into modernistic condos. It's weird being plenty privileged and doing fine financially but still being the scum of the community just because I'm not wealthy. To be "ordinary" in LA, you need to have millions. I like my apartment, though, so for the foreseeable future, I'll walk their sidewalks and keep tabs on their cats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment