7.21.2021

July 21, 2021

I didn't go to the virtual networking event yesterday. I wasn't feeling it. I'm not sure if that goes against my ambition to follow through or not. I had a ticket to the thing, but it wasn't a friend expecting me specifically (or anything like that). Today, I kind of wish I had gone, but I think that's in part because, in not going, I got a chance to recover. Being gone all last week/weekend took it out of me. Plus, I still went to the Alice Fraser zoom salon, which was great as always. 

I have a zoom table read today that was a direct result of the last zoom mixer I went to, so they are worthwhile. Oh well! I'm going to an in-person mixer with a friend on Monday next week. So I've got more networking in my future, don't worry. As a side note, I think I've gotten more successful with the networking thing now that I have different expectations. It's not likely or useful to go in hoping someone will help your career directly -- nobody's going to "discover" you, haul you out of the muck of obscurity or anything like that. What you might be able to find is good people to round out your artistic community. People who are doing stuff, who can help motivate you with their example and vice versa. Folks who can give you notes and you can give them notes. People who you can go on your journey with more than a big claw in the sky that will pick you up and whisk you to the finish line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment