7.05.2021

July 5, 2021

I got in a mini fight with my husband last night. I had told a friend I'd go with her to see fireworks, and I wanted husband to come with us. Husband's resting state is not wanting to do anything that isn't working, writing, exercising, sleeping, or watching sports. Pretty cliché except for writing. Thank god for that. Or as Blindboy would say, "thank dog." I got upset because I can envision a life where I'm married to someone who actually wants to hang out with me. That's how I phrased it too. Anyways, in we go on the emotional freight. I told him a little later that I wished I had won him over with excitement and positivity rather than sadness, guilt, and negativity. He let me try again. I told him that holidays exist to remind us to seek out and share joy with other people. Doing the same thing day after day is more comfortable, efficient, and productive probably, but it doesn't include mixing it up, taking any small risks, or giving yourself the opportunity to express those high highs. He agreed to go with me. He always agrees, but I end up feeling rejected for having to convince him. 

My friend dropped out so it was just me and my husband. We went anyway, after all that conversation. We climbed to the top of the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook. We had to go up the Culver City Stairs which are 0.18 miles straight up. At the top, we sat on the stone steps carved into the top of the hill, like bleachers overlooking the city. It was full of people. We drank cans of beer. There were fireworks everywhere. We looked down on them as people launched them from their homes and from parking lots. It looked like London in the Blitz. It was amazing. It was embarrassing how much it proved my point. Just be willing to go somewhere and try something new. It might end up being something great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment