4.19.2021

April 19, 2021

Yesterday, I went to an aerial lyra class with a friend. It was this hanging hoop rigged up in a loft apartment in downtown. My friend has been going 2-3 times a week for two years, so she's really good. I wasn't expecting to be able to really do anything as it was my first time. But I was able to get up and do a move called the mermaid. Afterwards, the four of us in the class hung out with the instructor and drank wine spritzers around her kitchen table. She runs lessons for hoop and pole (taught by her business partner) out of her apartment. She and her business partner also make things -- candles, macramé and wine bottle plant holders, masks, etc -- and sell them at the Los Feliz flea market. I'm not sure how she makes enough money to pay rent on an apartment in DTLA. Maybe she has a day job as well and just didn't talk about it. It was fun. I think I'm going to buy a five pack of lessons and go with my friend until she moves to San Diego. Why not? 

I like how there are these different communities in LA: the aerial community, the rollerskating community. Who knows what else is out there? Some, like the aspiring screenwriter community, is too big and disjointed and solitary and depressed to really be a community. I'm hoping to rediscover/reinvent my experience of LA after quarantine. To finally find the way to break in, not to the entertainment industry, but into wherever it is that people actually hang out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment