4.29.2021

April 29, 2021

Man, I slept so hard last night. I went to bed around 10:30pm and could barely peel myself off the mattress at 9am this morning. I figure it must be my biking/roller skating routine that's wearing me out. 

Yesterday, I had a nice time at the rink. I actually spoke to two different people, which was nice. And I'm feeling like I actually might be improving a little, especially with my backwards skating. A man had a speaker and was playing his music. It was nice to listen to someone else's playlist, to their preferences. He was keeping it upbeat, and the whole thing put me in a good mood. 

What else? 

The writing's been good lately, although it doesn't feel like it's coming fast enough. Although, I guess, if I were pumping out a new screenplay every two weeks it wouldn't do me that much good. I'd run out of money with all the contest submission fees, that's for sure. I just feel ready. I want to get into the ring. I've got a good baseline skill set and work ethic. I'm ready for the next level. 

The Audacious bookclub for this month was yesterday. Roxane Gay interviewed author Dantiel W. Moniz. Her short story collection, Milk Blood Heat, was great. It's also Moniz's first published book. If you think that means it's Blog Time, you're right! 

Blog Time! 

**SPOILERS**

Moniz, Dantiel W. – MILK BLOOD HEAT
Published: 2021
Read: 4/2021
This a short story collection that largely takes place in Jacksonville, Florida (the author’s hometown). Moniz writes about ordinary human experiences, many of which society places under taboo. The stories are about desire, death, grief, about good and bad behavior, about being animal, about being human. 
I listened to this book as an audiobook, but after I finished I ordered the physical copy. The stories deserve a re-read, I think. There’s something about short stories in particular that makes me want to have them with me. I’m far more likely to crave one and want to re-read it at a moment’s notice. I love novels, but I’m less likely to go back to them. I feel a kinship to Moniz’s subject matter. I’ve also been finding myself writing about the darker parts of girlhood. She talked, in her interview with Roxane Gay, about how society cloaks girlhood in frivolity – in pastels and softness – when in real life it’s darker, earthier, bloodier, more metal. I find that to be true as well, there’s always this hum of danger. A girl’s body is dangerous, for herself and others, it seems. 
Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment