4.20.2021

April 20, 2021

The cat has been sleeping between my legs right near my pelvis. It makes it really hard to move, and I've been waking up in the middle of the night sweaty and overheated. There's not enough room to go on one side of her or the other. I should just push her off because she's affecting the quality of my sleep. But she's too cute, and I would feel bad. Plus, I'm taking the fact that she's sleeping on my side to mean that she likes me better than my husband. 

I think I may have talked about this before. One of the women in my UCLA Extension Class is very conscientious about getting everything right. She takes the hero's journey structure very seriously, for example. It reminds me of how in basketball I got very concerned with running the plays correctly, with getting low on defense, with boxing out. At some point in there, I forgot that the whole point of the game was just to put the orange ball through the hoop. In the end, however you could score points was good -- and keep the other team from doing the same -- the things we learned in practice were tools, not ends in themselves. I want to take this woman from my class and sit her down in front of a film screening. Say, "See, this is a movie. You're trying to do one of these." 

This sounds a little stupid, but I feel like writing every morning like this has helped me sort of see me. Like, I can feel there's a kind of frame work that I'm writing through. I can sense these vague edges whereas before it was like looking out through an endless pane of glass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment