3.15.2021

March 15, 2021

Daylight savings is messing me up. I got to sleep too late and couldn't wake up early enough to do a blog in the morning. (What if this blog becomes a blog mostly about writing a blog? Would that be interesting?) 

Something I've been kind of thinking about -- I've been watching David Lynch movies, you know? He seems like an artist, right? Like he wants to make a particular thing, something kind of new, that will make people feel things they don't normally, and maybe think a bit more than they usually like to do. Ana Lily Amirpour, writer/director of A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT, seems the same way. I read how she said, for that movie, that she loved everything that was in it. The songs, the clothes, the settings. She wanted to make something that transcended, I think. 

It just seems in contrast to most of what I've run into in TV and screenwriting classes. I know a movie is a big lift for an artistic vision. I forget who was talking about how it seems silly to need George Clooney in order to fully express one's self. A very cheap movie still costs thousands of dollars, so there has to be some market appeal. BUT. 

What's the fastest way to sell a screenplay? What are the top ten tricks of screenwriting success? How can I be a professional ASAP? I need a passable story and a house in the hills sooner rather than later. 

I get it, but. When you're already kind of shooting the moon -- I mean, the odds of making a living as a screenwriter are really low -- why not go further and try to be a genius at it. Master it. See if you can create something new. Be interested enough to try to see if you can get to the bottom of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment