3.07.2021

March 7, 2021

You know those artists who were sick as kids and had to spend like a whole year or whatever inside? They come out noticing more things, imagining things more vividly, filled with a deeper appreciation for everyday life outside the sick room. I'm wondering if anything like that will happen because of the ongoing COVID quarantine. If it's happening already, it might be in my appreciation of junk food and snacks. I've already talked about how amazing McDonald's is (as have plenty of other people). I'm also appreciating the bulk gummy bears they sell at Sprouts. Like, I can imagine someone coming from another country and asking what's good in Fort Collins, and me telling them you have to get the bulk gummy bears from Sprouts. They're a little bit bigger than your standard gummy bear. Soft without being oozy in anyway, and the colors include pale green and dark green, sea foam blue and dark blue. Purple, red, orange, pale yellow. A really good mix, and the taste is good too. Sweet and tangy. My family thinks the different colors taste differently, but I'm not sure. 

I also went a bit hog wild at the Flying J Travel Plaza on our drive back to Los Angeles. (We got back at 8am this morning.) They had all these different flavors of Ruffles and Lays. Lime, lime jalapeno, ranch jalepeno. I felt like I had stumbled across true abundance and bought one of each. What delights will the chip scientists/artists come up with next? 

When you've had nothing going on for a year and can't go to restaurants, can't see films, can't attend concerts, I guess you may start getting your kicks from gas station chip variety. But why not? These companies spend a lot of money on these products; a lot of people are working very hard to put them out. Maybe they're something to marvel at. 

A lot of dudes in the Utah travel plazas not wearing masks. It felt shocking and obscene. As always, I can't wait for this to be behind us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment