3.30.2021

March 30, 2021

My husband left this morning to fly to Seattle to spend time with his parents and siblings over his spring break. I'm staying in town, as I still have work, I have a screenplay to rewrite, the pandemic, and it's nice to save some money by not buying too many last-minute plane tickets. My husband and I haven't been apart very much in the last several years. I think it will be interesting to get some time to myself, but I'm still a little sad. Luckily, I can go skating nearly every day and that way make sure I get out of the house and at least see other people. 

Mlog time! 

**SPOILERS**

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME
1992
Directed by: David Lynch
Written by: David Lynch, Robert Engels 
Watched: 3/30/21 
It’s the sequel to the TV show. We’re introduced to a similar circumstance as the beginning of the show: a beautiful blonde woman has been killed and a letter is found underneath her fingernail. The two FBI agents have some dealings with the small town cops and then one of them disappears. After that, we see the events leading up to – and including – the murder of Laura Palmer. A lot of the scenes had lovely, trippy, and upsetting moments. A mixture of humor, horror, and sensuality. But it was weird watching something that seemed to think it was a mystery, but of course was not. Not only did I know what was going to happen in the end, but most of the scenes felt like subtext turned into text. The things that the TV show left unsaid, left imagined, implied were spelled out for the audience in a way that felt both boring and unnecessary. Laura also seemed to get into more trouble than was logistically feasible, like an amount of danger and bad behavior that she’d need a secretary just to help her keep track of it all. It’s a Lynch film so it was worth checking out. (For example there’s a cryptic dancing lady clown person in the beginning who serves as a bunch of exposition, which I liked. And there’s a close up shot of someone eating porridge which was quite nice.) But this has been my least favorite of his films so far. 
Rating: ★1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment