3.09.2021

March 9, 2021

I went on a big grocery run yesterday, but I didn't buy milk (or any breakfast food) so I couldn't make my overnight oats. I think maybe I'll eat applesauce this morning instead. 

There's a new billboard up in front of my apartment. (The billboard itself has always been there, what I mean is that the advertisement has changed.) The old one had been up for almost a year. It was for an urban clothing brand, I think. Although I guess it could have been a music group. It was up forever, but maybe I never really looked at it. Calls into question the effectiveness of these billboards, maybe. It was three black men sitting in a row, looking at camera. My apartment is up on a hill on a frontage road to Santa Monica Blvd. The billboard is down on the main road, so it's nearly level with us. When I sat on my couch, I could make it so it looked like the farthest left guy on the billboard was staring through my apartment window. His face was perfectly framed by a pane of glass. Layers of graffiti got added over time. That was exciting. Changing it up a little bit. 

Now there's an advertisement for the marines. It's weird to think that those three guys, the clothing brand or the musical act or whatever, got stripped down, their faces folded over or crumpled into a ball. Do they incinerate old billboard ads? Do I need to think of the man's face slowly turning black while fire bites along his edges? Even then, he maintains my gaze. Unflinching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment